Aye aye, Captain! Join us at Hinsdale Community Pool for our 2nd annual Cardboard Boat Regatta! Construct your own boat from cardboard and duct tape (provided at the event), and race other teams across the lap pool. Win, and advance to the finals! First, second, and third place awards will be given, as well as other fun awards. Boats may hold up to 2 people but teams can consist of up to 4 to assist with boat construction (if your boat lasts more than one race without sinking, your other 2 teammates may get a chance to race too). Children under 8 must have an adult in the boat with them. Paddles will be provided or you may construct your own with cardboard.
A continental breakfast will be provided.
Is your boat sea-worthy?
All boats are subject to a technical inspection before being allowed to race.You will have one chance to fix minor violations before the start of the race.
- Boat is made of corrugated cardboard and duct tape ONLY (with duct tape covering only the seams and joints of the boat)--these materials will be provided
- The boat does not exceed four feet in width
- Construction of the boat allows for all passengers to be fully visible (therefore no roofs!)
- No sharp cardboard structures built off the sides or ends of the boat
- Your boat must have a name! (Get creative!)
- You may pre-build your boat, but it is still subject to inspection.
- To win, your boat must still be afloat and all boat passengers must still be in the boat when you reach the finish line
- To advance through the finals, you must win the preliminary races you competed in
- If you choose not to take your boat home at the end of the event, PLEASE RECYCLE in one of our provided bins
- HAVE FUN!
First, Second, & Third Place
Titanic Award----Most spectacular sinking
Captain Costume---Best dressed team
Creative Cruise----Most innovative construction
Thank you to FedEx on 1st street for donating our cardboard!